Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Friday

www.voiceinrecovery.com


Gratitude as a discipline involves a conscious choice. I can choose to be grateful even when my emotions and feelings are still steeped in hurt and resentment. It is amazing how many occasions present themselves in which I can choose gratitude instead of a complaint. I can choose to grateful when I am criticized, even when my heart still responds in bitterness. I can choose to speak about goodness and beauty, even when my inner eye still looks for someone to accuse or something to call ugly.

Henri J. M. Nouwen


Good Friday is a day when we acknowledge a great sacrifice. The sacrifice that Jesus took to show the world love.

Today I am mulling over that word in my head, sacrifice.

I sacrifice daily for my daughter, for my family; but they are easy to sacrifice for. I love them deeply. I feel as if there is no other option inside of me but to sacrifice for them. While this sacrifice wears on my body, both physically and sometimes emotionally, it is still a sacrifice I choose to make.

And then there are those who I know I choose not to sacrifice for. Those who it is difficult. Those for whom loving is hard; whether it be because of a bitterness inside my heart or a resentment towards their situation.

And yet, Jesus did not differentiate between those he chose to sacrifice. He made that choice for all. If it had just been a select group, it would not have proven his point.

The point being that love does not choose some; it chooses all.

It does not give partially; it gives all.

Jesus is love and love is Him. It is one in the same.

So, now comes my role in that; because yes, I have a role. I have chosen to have a role.

It is not to love some, but to love all. It is to love those for whom my heart has somewhat hardened around.

Because a heart is not hard. It is made of tissue, of blood of veins; of things that flow.

I am praying today to choose love, just as Mr. Nouwen says we can choose gratitude, we can choose love.

It is amazing what free will and choice allow us to do. I am thankful for a God that has given us these inner skills.

I will start with this choice, then go from there. It is my sacrifice; however small.

No comments:

Post a Comment