Thursday, April 19, 2012

What a Day

Today I left for work at 6am, taught/wrangled some children until 2:30, then came home only to pick up my baby girl, pack her in the car and head the the IMSS Clinic (government heath care clinic) to go to the first of 5 required appointments to receive my maternity leave.

I was in the busy, crowded, hot clinic for 2 hours, running around from place to place, having numerous discussions in Spanish all while handling my almost 2 year old who was done being at IMSS after the first hour.

I came home around 6:50, ate a quick dinner, gave Isa a bath, put her to bed, made lunches for tomorrow and am now sitting. It's 8:20.

Ooff.

Exhaustion at it's finest.

Both my body and mind are wrecked.

It's days like this when all I want is to be a stay at home mom. To not have to worry about all of the bureaucracy that comes with receiving maternity leave in Mexico; to be able to hang out with my daughter all day instead of a bunch of 9 year olds. To have her be the reason I'm tired, not them.

To be the one who picks out her outfits and prepares her breakfast in the morning.

I know I am tired and this only magnifies my feelings, but they are feelings which are there none-the-less.

Thinking about my maternity leave only makes things harder. In Mexico they give you 6 weeks off after your due date. They've calculated that this is the amount of time a woman needs to heal after giving birth; then it's back to work.

Remembering how tiny Isa was at 6 weeks brings tears to my eyes. I can't imagine leaving a tiny baby like that at home to be looked after by someone else. It literally makes my heart hurt.

I am trying not to think about that time until it comes and know I need to take advantage of what time I will have with this new little life. I don't want to spend those 6 weeks feeling sad. I want to cherish them.

Oh tired days. You bring out the worst sometimes.

And now, it is 8:30 and I am off to bed.

Goodnight. I pray for a happier heart tomorrow and an opportunity to rest.



No comments:

Post a Comment