Sunday, May 13, 2012

Dear Isabela



Dear Isabela,

It's Mother's Day today, so I thought it fitting to spend some time reflecting on being your mother.
I have only been your mother for a relatively short time. In the grand scheme of things it is nothing compared to the vast future I have ahead of me as your mother.

Over the last almost 2 years I have cried over you, smiled over you, laughed over you and held you. I have changed your diapers, cuddled with you before bed time, held you close after you've bumped your head while you cried on my shoulder.

There are so many tiny moments that have existed in our time together. And yet, when I collect them and put them together over the past 2 years, they are expansive.

I imagine this is only a glimpse of what it will be like 16 years from now, when you will one day leave our house and go find a home that is your own.

I hope that in all I do I am loving to you; although, I know there have been times when I have failed at showing you this; those times when you try my patience or when the crying doesn't stop. These are the times I pray for strength; strength to be just that much more patient, to be just that much more kind.

But know that even in those moments, I do love you. It is an innate feeling I have for you; it cannot be diminished. I love you big or small, crying or calm, clean or dirty, obedient or disobedient, screaming or whispering.

I love you as a doctor or a janitor, as an introvert or an extrovert, gay or straight, as a college graduate or a world traveler.

You are special and you are unique. You are thoughtful and curious. You are confident and talkative; and I am so proud of you.

Thank you for being my daughter; for teaching me what motherhood is all about. Thank you for stretching my ability to love.

I love you, my daughter.

Love,
Mom












No comments:

Post a Comment