Saturday, February 4, 2012

My Girl Date

I made the call.

We set up a time and place.

That's right, this Monday I have a girl date.

************

Living in Mexico City means you pretty much only hear Spanish, all day, everyday.

But every so often you get caught off guard by the occasional English spoken here or there by that random tourist; or in my case, a family who happens to live down the street from me.

The other day as James and I were coming back from walking Lila, a woman drove by us and stopped to say hello. It turns out she's from Texas and lives just up the street from us with her Mexican husband and kids.

Her and I got to talking and exchanged numbers and have been trying to meet up ever since, and now it's happening.

************

After college, if you move away from your friends, like I did, you enter into this whole new round of life experiences; one of which is making new friends. It's weird and exhilarating and at times lonely and frustrating.

My college friends are incredible and it's hard not to compare them to the new friends I've made here, but I have to remind myself that it's just different.

College is such a unique time. A time when your only job is to be a student and hang out and make friends; and to make things even better, they stick you in a dorm with an array of girls to get to know without having to walk more than 2 feet.

Well, it worked for me in the best way possible. I made some lifelong friends and for that I am forever thankful.

But, as you grow up, you get thrown into new life situations, many of which aren't planned; or in my case, have what could be considered a thread of a plan.

************

So now, my girl date. After many texts back and forth and a few cancellations, I decided to just pick up the phone and call.

I barely know her. Her name is Nicole and she's from Texas; that's about all I've got.

But, as with any first date, I'm feeling those feelings of excitement, a bit of nervousness, and the hope of a possible new meaningful friendship.

I'm glad I made the call and I'm looking forward to what Monday brings. Amazing, mediocre or awkward; whatever it is, there's potential there and the ball is in motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment